Only temple recommended Mormons may step foot inside the structure, which is used for special instruction and ordinances, such as celestial marriages. But the view from outside the temple is inspirational enough.
The Neo-Gothic building, which was dedicated in 1893, took 40 years to construct. Except for some of its hardware and glass, the temple was built completely of native materials. With five floors, six spires -- the tallest standing at 210 feet -- and a granite facade, the structure is definitely imposing.Here are a couple of videos of the Salt Lake Temple. The first is a series of exterior shots set to music, and the second is a video of a scaled model of the temple showing the interior.
The other seven religious wonders in the CNN story are:
- Bahá'í House of Worship in Wilmette, Illinois
- Hsi Lai Temple in Hacienda Heights, California
- Islamic Center of America in Dearborn, Michigan
- Memorial Presbyterian Church in St. Augustine, Florida
- Temple Emanu-El in New York City
- Palace of Gold in Moundsville, West Virginia
- St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York City