Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Oklahoma City: Home of the American Banjo Museum

Oklahoma City is a classic American town, a great example of what middle America is all about.  I fell in love with it long before Elliot received his mission call there, dating back to the days when I spent a lot of time in Oklahoma for work.  But I never discovered one of OKC’s true treasures in all my visits: the American Banjo Museum.  What a great place!  Located in the Bricktown entertainment district of OKC, the ABM bills itself as a world-class facility honoring the rich history, vibrant spirit and unlimited future of the banjo.  It houses over 300 banjos, dating back to the earliest instruments developed by slaves in the old south.  Visiting a banjo museum may not be high on Elliot’s list of preparation day activities, but I may have to twist him arm to pay a visit and tell me everything.  I’m fascinated with it.  After the break you’ll find a few pictures and a video of the museum.  Enjoy!


 




No comments:

Post a Comment