Monday, April 4, 2011

Elliot's April 4 email

Here's Elliot's first report from his new area.  It sounds like he's got some work to do, so please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

Hey family!

That's exciting about the Honda Insight! [The Adairs traded in their fun car for a hybrid.] I'm gonna have to drive it when I get back. It very likely won't be as quick or flashy as the Z, but that's okay.

Did y'all enjoy Conference? I thought it was so awesome. Maybe not quite as memorable as singing in it [Elliot sang in the MTC choir at last October's Priesthood session - see here and here], but I loved it. It's just amazing that no matter what you might be going through there's something in there that'll help.

The new area's okay, and the members seem awesome. Since I've been here there's only been one day where we weren't fed, so I think me and this area should get along fine. The work is a bit slow, but I have big hopes for this area from what I've seen so far and from the success that missionaries have had in the past. My companion is Elder Endicott from St. Helens, Oregon, and is a bit of a character. But that's okay.

I feel like my story I tell you every week is about diligence, and how when everything seemed bad you just push a little farther and it works out. Well this week was just the same. They didn't really have investigators out here. Which is no bueno. It's like what Preach My Gospel says that nothing happens in missionary work until you find someone to teach. Well apparently they didn't bother looking last transfer. So the work is basically starting from scratch, which is fine, but that just means that we have a lot in front of us to do. By the time Sunday around 7 came around, not one investigator lesson had been taught in this area all week, which is tough. Lessons are the best part of missionary work. Seeing people understand more, ask questions and just that feeling of something is happening. Someone is being helped. So we tried the one last thing we had, which was to contact a referral for a part member family we got. Man it was awesome. Not only did we teach a lesson, but they were excited about it, let us right in, read with us and the kids were involved too. They're excited about church and everything. This was just another example to me that you just gotta keep moving forward, because there are a lot of people ready to hear the Gospel, even if at times it doesn't feel that way.

Well I love you all and am grateful for all of the support! Please pray for me in this new area that I'll be able to have success!

Love,

Elder Elliot Adair

P.S. I would send you pictures but I don't know how to use the darn OU Mac!

No comments:

Post a Comment