Sunday, May 6, 2012

HuffPost Culture: "A Female Episcopal Priest Visits a Mormon Temple"

We recently posted a story about the Kansas City Temple open house here on Elliot's blog. This morning I ran across a story from the Church Newsroom about an Episcopal priest and theologian, Danielle Tumminio, who wrote of her experience at the open house in a Huffington Post column. I thought the column would be worth sharing because it provides an interesting and well-written perspective on a non-Mormon's experience in visiting a temple, particularly from one who is a religious leader and teacher. Here is an excerpt from Ms. Tumminio's column:
It was in these rooms, and the final Celestial Room, where I caught a glimpse of God. 
You see, as part of our final stop on the tour, our guide took us to a room with a mural of the Missouri countryside painted by a local artist. The room had earthy colors, browns and greens and rows of cushioned seats. This was the first instruction room. From there, we took a step up -- as if ascending closer to heaven -- and entered a second room, similar to the first in shape and size but all white. This was the second instruction room. When we left that room, we took another step up and entered the Celestial Room, a space designed to give those who sit in it a foretaste of heaven. 
It was a simple room yet ornate at the same time, all white with sparkling crystal chandeliers, large mirrors, and plump sofas and chairs reminiscent of those that must have existed in Joseph Smith's day. Our guide asked us to be silent and said we were welcome to sit wherever we liked and take a moment to pray. So I sat down on a sofa that seemed to envelop me, folded my hands on my lap and closed my eyes. 
Like Dante, who saw God face to face but had no words to describe the encounter, I have few words to describe what I felt in that moment. But I can say this: While it did not convert me, nor did it make me want to be a Mormon, the silence and peace I felt reminded me of the many other times I've felt close to God, whether in an Episcopal cathedral, in a clear, warm ocean or in my ratty old car. And because of that, I came to understand why temples exist and why they are so important to Mormons across the world.
Thanks to Ms. Tummunio for sharing her experience. Please read her full column here.

No comments:

Post a Comment