Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Mormon Messages: "Lessons I Learned as a Boy"

I have to say two things about this post.  First, it has nothing to do with Elliot.  Sorry.  Second, I'm a sucker for inspirational stories.  It's a weakness, I know.  I especially enjoy all stories told by President Gordon B. Hinckley, and the story depicted in this video is one of my favorites.  He told it at the Priesthood Session of General Conference in April 1993 in an address directed mainly at the young men in attendance.  This would have been the very first Priesthood Session that Elliot attended as a new Deacon.  (There's an Elliot connection after all!)  President Hinckley started his remarks: "I think I would like to say a few things to the boys. You older men may listen or sleep."  I don't think many of us older guys slept!  Anyway, the story is great.  President Hinckley attributes it to his father and cites a source I do not have.  I do not know if it is true, nor do I care.  The principle is true.  Interestingly, President Hinckley simply tells the story, adding no moralizing or explanation, so I will do the same.  I will simply add a scripture that came to mind at the conclusion of the video, from the story of the disciples who unknowingly walked with Jesus on the road to Emmaus:
And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?  (Luke 14:32)
Enjoy the video after the jump.


No comments:

Post a Comment