Thursday, January 27, 2011

Remember the Ten

At 6:37 p.m. on January 27, 2001, ten members of the Oklahoma State University family perished in a plane crash following a Cowboy basketball game in Boulder, Colorado.  OSU's president made a solemn vow: "We will never forget."  And they have not.

Kendall Durfey - radio producer and engineer
Bjorn Fahlstrom - pilot
Nate Fleming - student athlete
Will Hancock - media relations coordinator
Dan Lawson - student athlete
Brian Luinstra - athletic trainer
Denver Mills - CPA and pilot
Pat Noyes - director of basketball operations
Bill Teegins - broadcaster and voice of the OSU Cowboys
Jared Weiberg - student assistant




More pictures, news reports, a poem from the memorial service, and an extended video recount this tragedy, after the jump.


Remember the 10: 10 years after the OSU plane crash



Remember the Ten

The "Remember the Ten" Event

We will never forget

Never forget: more coverage and a powerful video

Remembering the 2001 OSU Plane Crash


The Ten were remembered in a halftime memorial at last night's game against Texas.  In fitting tribute to the Ten, for the first time ever in Cowboy basketball history, OSU retired a basketball jersey  - the No. 10.
_____________________________________

I'm Free

Don't grieve for me, for now I'm free;
I'm following the path God laid for me.
I took His hand when I heard Him call;
I turned my back and left it all.

I could not stay another day,
to laugh, to love, to work or play.
Tasks left undone must stay that way;
I found that peace at the close of the day.

If my parting has left a void,
then fill it with remembered joy.
A friendship shared, a laugh, a kiss,
oh yes, these things I too, will miss.

Be not burdened with times of sorrow;
I wish you the sunshine of tomorrow.
My life's been full, I've savored much;
good friends, good times, a loved one's touch.

Perhaps my time seemed all too brief;
don't lengthen it now with undue grief.
Lift up your heart and share with me;
God wanted me now, He set me free.

Read by Andre Williams at Memorial Service
_____________________________________

"We Will Remember" memorial at OSU's Gallagher-Iba Arena:






No comments:

Post a Comment