Monday, March 21, 2011

Elliot's March 21 email

Here's the latest message from Elliot.

Hey family!

Thanks for the package! I love the shirt and the candy helps out a lot when it's 8 in the morning and you feel like taking a nap instead of studying and you need a little sugar.

That's exciting about CJ! [CJ Norris spoke in church yesterday before leaving on his mission to Boise, Idaho.] We're just pumping missionaries out of N1 now. That's great.

So we've had a very awesome week. We were in the City from Sunday until Friday at the Leadership Training Meeting and it's was incredible. I learned so much about how to recognize the Holy Ghost and how to become a better teacher. We got trained in 8 areas: The Doctrine of Christ, Teach People, Not Lessons, The Role of the Holy Ghost in Conversion, Revelation through Prayer, Revelation through Church Attendance, Revelation through The Book of Mormon, How to Begin Teaching, and We Invite, They Commit, We Follow Up. These are specific areas the General Authorities have been putting an emphasis on to help us become better, more effective, and more powerful teachers. I learned a lot that I've already been able to put into practice with myself and with those whom I serve. I felt the Spirit a lot and learned one really great truth: I'm happiest on the mission when the Spirit's working through me or when It's teaching me.

We had 3 investigators at church on Sunday! My companion and I both gave talks and all four of us missionaries sang in Sacrament Meeting. It seemed that our investigators liked it well. One of them is named "Bob." "Bob" is awesome. We had probably the best lesson of my mission with him this past Saturday. He has a brother who's a Mormon which led him to seek out us missionaries. He saw his brother make this positive changes in his life and wanted to experience the same. He's been going through a terribly rough time. But what's amazing is these unprompted changes he's made in his life. We've hardly taught him yet, not even a full first lesson, but before we started to come over he decided to start to quit drinking and do other things like that. He said he was feeling good when he was reading the Book of Mormon and when we come by. I was able to testify that these things were happening because of the Holy Ghost. I bore testimony of the Holy Ghost and he told stories he had when he felt  good like he was. He even said that he was feeling all warm and good right then! There's no way that I could even describe the lesson or how strong the Spirit was there, but we invited him to be baptized and he said sure! He was stoked about going to church and even prayed at the end of the lesson without us asking him to. I didn't even feel like I was teaching, I just had the honor of being there for his conversion. 

Well I'm glad things are okay back home besides the rain! One more thing-

Go BYU!!!!!!
[Sports report to follow, but BYU advanced to the sweet 16 in the NCAA tournament with wins over Wofford and Gonzaga!]

Love,

Elder Elliot Adair

No comments:

Post a Comment